State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPS) help people understand the complexities of Medicare and help them select the best health and prescription drug plan for their health care needs.
The State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs) provides trained local and objective insurance counseling and assistance to Medicare-eligible individuals, their families, and caregivers for help in selecting the best health and prescription drug plan for their health care needs.
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs) have trained counselors that:
- Trained Insurance Counselors can assist you with evaluating health care coverage changes during Medicare’s Annual Election Period also known as Open Enrollment
- Trained Insurance Counselors offer one-on-one assistance with reviewing health or prescription drug plan options so you find the best program for your health and pharmaceutical needs
- If you are having difficulty paying the out-of-pocket costs associated with Medicare, you can contact your Trained Insurance Counselor to find out about assistance programs one might be eligible for
- Trained Insurance Counselors can help you understand Medicare’s eligibility criteria
- Trained Insurance Counselors can help you understand what Medicare does and doesn’t cover
- Medicare can be complicated. You can contact Trained Insurance Counselors to answer your questions
- Trained Insurance Counselors can explain who pays first, Medicare or another insurance
- Trained Insurance Counselors can explain how Medicare works with supplemental policies, retiree coverage, Medicaid, and other insurers.
- If you are uncertain of yours or your loved one’s rights, under Medicare, then contact a Trained Insurance Counselor for assistance.
In review, the SHIP National Technical Assistance Center (SHIP TA Center) website serves as a central source of information for and about the national State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP). Note that each state may name their SHIP program by a slightly different name.
You can use the website to locate your State’s Trained Insurance Counselor or call the SHIP Locator service at 1-877-839-2675 and they can assist you in finding your local contact.